[Rhodes22-list] R22 Remote control linked outboard; Reply to David

David R. Keyes dkeyes at houston.rr.com
Sat Jun 17 12:08:17 EDT 2006

Dave,

Thanks for your reply.  I also assume (but don 't know) that I could buy a
remote control kit on an electric start engine and mount it to the tiller.
I was planning to buy one made by the same manufacturer who makes whatever
engine I get. I don't know if all brands have this for the smaller engines.
I assume a rope start engine might be difficult on the UPP mounting pulley
mechanism that Stan has built and which I have, since the motor is so close
to the boat itself. lowers the motor way down to get deep enough into the
water, and one wouldn't want to start the engine while it is raised high
enough to conveniently pull a rope.  As to the link arm between the top of
the motor and the rudder head, I assume that I could use my existing one
(that came with Stan's UPP Yamaha 9.9 setup) and, like on the Yamaha, just
drill holes in the cowling at the top of the motor to mount a carriage bolt
to slide the arm onto.  All one would need, it seems, is a remote box that
is more or less the same shape and size as the Yamaha box so it can be
screwed onto the tiller near the rudder head.  I also assume I should look
for a brand that sells the extra long (25") shaft and the larger impellor
for a sailboat. As for power, I just need to get in and out of a lake dock
area, and once every couple of years motor about 7 miles down the lake to
get the bottom repainted.  My boat stays in the water all year, and I don't
even own a trailor.

David