[Rhodes22-list] Another Reply to David Keyes about outboard motor

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Sat Jun 17 15:33:11 EDT 2006

David:

     After all the comments from others and your replies, leads me comment
more:

1.  I suspect that only the Yamaha 9.9 would match your remote control.
Stan is the authority on this subject and not the list.  Stan is also aware
of other motors that might work with his equipment.  Again, call Stan for
the accurate assessment of your questions.

2.   You said your current motor is in three pieces, that the local repair
shop has estimated about $2,000 to fix.  You might want to get a second and
third estimate.   You have other equipment that works with that engine.

3.    There is a constant war between four stroke advocates and two stroke
advocates.  California restricts use of two stoke motors for alleged
environmental reasons.  However, most other states do not.  Yes highly used
four stroke motors are more environmentally friendly than highly used two
strokes.  However, on a sailboat we simply do not use our motors that much.
These studies are based on new well tuned motors.  Older four stroke motors
that are not accurately tuned probably pollute as much as two strokes.
        It seems to an occasional user that two stoke motors are more
reliable and need mechanics less often.  Reread Bill Effros’s comments.  He
has an old 8 hp two stroke Tohatsu.  He wants to be environmentally correct
and get a four stroke motor.  The two stroke will not quit.  The shops are
full of four stroke motors with starting problems.
         As Rummy has been pointing out for how many years now?  The two
stroke 8 HP Tohatsu weighs less than 60 pounds.  A four stroke 8 Hp engine
weighs at least 35 pounds more and the 9.9 weighs even more.  It takes two
people to ‘safely’ move the four stoke motors unless your name is Arnold.
          Is there currently available a remote Tohatsu?  I do not know, I
will leave the research to you.   However, two years ago the remote was not
available.  Maybe it is back again.   Others have mentioned other brands
with remote controls.  The motor makers keep changing accessories and the
accessories are not necessarily interchangeable.  You would have to find out
what is available today.
           After you discuss your situation with Commode Spitzer, let us
know the details.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA