[Rhodes22-list] Problem shrouds tension

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Sat Jun 24 09:11:17 EDT 2006

Wally:
      I agree with your analysis completely.  Three people tightening may
yield three different results, in fact most likely would yield three
different results.  Another aspect is the location of the compression post.
That has been moved around on interior redesigns.
      I guess we need technical expertize on the effect of the leeward lean.
However, I do not recall anybody on this list having a mast fall over even
in heavy winds on a Rhodes 22.  We do know that occassionally happens with
other sail boats.
      I believe that there are several who use the Loos gauage on this list.
I never kept Roger's results since most others used the hand tightening
method without problems.  Since Roger was into racing, every small detail
was important.
       Another question is how much the base allows for mast lean and how
much is in the cabin top.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA

Ed K