[Rhodes22-list] Problem shrouds = location of answer for David

TN Rhodey tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 26 15:45:43 EDT 2006

Bill,

Actually I took Rogers side on the sail debate. If you understood PHRF you
would understand that a higher number hit doesn't mean that the sail is
faster/better on all conditions. PHRF hits are issued if there is advantage
on a single point of sail. You pay the price regardless of conditions or
use. You take a penalty hit if you declare spinnaker and don't even use one.
I wouldn't use PHRF to make your point because it really doesn't work that
way. I do agree that under certain wind conditions and on certain point of
sail the 175 is better. I will also say the same about the 155.

In the case of the 175 my guess is the sail is faster than a 155 on a beam
to broad reach. Off the wind a R22 with spinnaker will be faster than R22
with 175. The fact is very little racing is done on beam reaches. My take is
that heading into the wind the smaller head sails work better. with better
tacking angles. And once the wind picks up a 175 furled to 155 is not as
fast as a 155. Off the wind racers use a spinnaker for max speed not a 175.

So you see we do disagree on some sailing issues. I have noticed quite a few
complaints about the heavy weight of the 175, limited pointing and poor sail
shape. I don't write those posts iIjust read them

Wally