[Rhodes22-list] Reduce your federal income tax (political humor)

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Tue Jun 27 22:32:55 EDT 2006

Dave,

It's a really tough problem with no simple answers.  Yes, the
politicians are pandering, but putting that aside, we are all somehow
complicit.  The last time I checked, our government had collected half a
trillion dollars on bogus Social Security numbers.  Those funds are
never going to be paid out to the people who paid them in, and that
money is being used to bolster everyone else's social security.

I went out of my way to hire local "American" contractors to do work on
my house, but they all showed up with illegals in their employ after
bitching about how the immigrants were taking their jobs.  And the
foreigners are good workers, decent people.  They work hard, don't
complain, clean up after themselves, are courteous, pay taxes, -- in
short they would be model citizens and are a pleasure to have around.

Meanwhile my house is like the United Nations.  In the last week we have
had Brazilians, Ecuadorans, Mexicans, Czechs, Colombians, Peruvians, a
Brit, a Frenchman, a Canadian, a Jamaican, all working like people used
to work when we were kids.

I am certain they all pay taxes, and many of them will hang around long
enough to become citizens.  What's wrong with that?  They will make good
citizens.  But they are certainly eating the lunch of others who have
been here longer, and I feel their pain.

There is no way we can track them all down and get rid of them.  Our
economy is dependent on them; we need them.  I have no answers, just a
lot of questions.  I think this solution is preferable to outsourcing
all this work around the globe.

Bill Effros