[Rhodes22-list] Reduce your federal income tax (political humor)

Gregg J. MacMillan gjm at techgra.com
Wed Jun 28 12:03:57 EDT 2006

At 9:54 AM -0400 6/28/06, Bill Effros wrote:
>If you really think enforcement of existing laws is working in the
>Greater Cincinnati area, you really don't understand the magnitude
>of the problem.

Bill--

I'm sure I don't fully understand the magnitude of the problem, but I
doubt any of us do. And, we really don't have much of a problem here
in Cincinnati anyway.

My point is that now that 4 prominent area citizens now each face 10
years in jail (and the whole incident is still front page news), I am
sure local employers are having second thoughts about using illegals.
And I'm sure illegals are having second thoughts about coming to the
Cincinnati area. (I'm sure it doesn't take long for the word to
spread...don't go to Cincinnati)

Personally I think this incident is just political posturing for the
midterms anyway, and we will soon be going back to fines rather than
criminal charges after November....regardless which party is in power.

--Gregg

> [...]
>>settlement, such as requiring that a company put internal
>>procedures in place to comply with the law.
>>Before the policy shift, illegal worker arrests had fallen off
>>dramatically, from 2,849 in 1999 to 445 in 2003, according to a
>>report by the government's General Accounting Office.
>>The following year, however, those numbers began to climb - jumping
>>to 845 in 2004 and 1,145 in 2005. This year alone, more than 2,100
>>people have been arrested. And those numbers don't include the
>>arrests in the Fischer Homes investigation or several other raids
>>that took place last month.
>>In the criminal cases, the government typically brings charges of
>>knowingly hiring illegal aliens and, whenever possible, of money
>>laundering and harboring illegal aliens. Money laundering is a
>>felony punishable by up to 20 years in prison, while harboring
>>illegal aliens carries a potential 10-year prison sentence.
>>Those charges also give authorities the right to seize assets that
>>employers have derived from criminal activities.
>>"It is good to see that they are making an attempt to enforce the
>>law," said Caroline Espinosa, spokeswoman for NumbersUSA, which is
>>pushing for tougher immigration enforcement. "Sometimes, fines
>>aren't enough."
>>Fines were considered just another cost of doing business and
>>especially palatable to employers because they were offset by the
>>savings from employing illegal aliens, "in most cases, at a much
>>lower wage than they would be paying American citizens," Espinosa
>>said.
>>"Breaking this law actually hurts more people than most people
>>realize," she said, because "it drives down wages for American
>>citizens as well."
>>Columbus, Ohio, attorney David Cook, who specializes in
>>employment-based immigration issues, said that while criminal
>>charges are a deterrent to hiring undocumented workers, he thinks
>>the recent raids are part of a bigger strategy to build support for
>>the Bush administration's proposed guest worker program.
>>"I think the way they see the opportunity to build support for that
>>is to show that they are getting tough on the unauthorized workers
>>and on worksite enforcement," said Cook.
>>Many employers make a good-faith effort to comply with immigration
>>laws, Cook said, but find the process used to verify a worker's
>>identity and work authorization is cumbersome and difficult to do
>>correctly.
>>For example, the Department of Homeland Security has changed the
>>type of documents that an individual can present for identification
>>purposes and to verify work authorization. Yet, "they continue to
>>publish and provide a form that has the old list of documents,"
>>Cook said. "They've never bothered to update their forms."
>>Employers "need to be educated as to what the law is and come to an
>>understanding of how the government is applying the law," he said.

T e c h n e G r a p h i c s, I n c.
1 . 8 0 0 . 7 7 1 . 3 1 7 1
2002 Ford Circle, Milford, OH  45150
mailto:gjm at techgra.com