[Rhodes22-list] Reduce your federal income tax (political humor)

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Wed Jun 28 18:31:46 EDT 2006

Stan,

In my view Mr Friedman has an overwhelming handicap, he’s a  tenured
economics professor at a renowned University.  We should not  assume his deliberations
have much to do with the real world.

You may be old enough to recall that Mr Friedman played an  dominant  role
during the Nixon administration.  I believe he was on Nixon’s Council  of
Economic Advisors, or something like that.  He claimed that by  modulating monetary
policy ($ in circulation) you could control inflation.   After attempting the
theory for several years, with no hint of success, he left  government service
and commented he was sure he was right but the time constant  for monetary
policy might be very long.  It’s exactly that type of small  theoretical
oversight that plagues his statement in your post.

The small theoretical oversight that appeared in his material in your post
is that In the real world you can’t simply buy from the lowest priced vendor to
 maximize your standard of living - unless you have something to sell in
return that generates the liquidity for your purchase.  Exactly what is  that
thing you are going to sell?  Mr Friedman posits "If you are the best  body parts
supplier...."; in fact, there is no reason at all to assume that "we"  are
the best or uniquely capable at anything much less body parts. What we  can
guarantee is that we have some of the highest labor costs  and strictest
environmental regulations in the world - but neither  are a plus.  As a practical
matter, anything you can manufacture  in Edenton can be manufactured  cheaper
somewhere else - so what are  you going to sell back?   There's no substantial
protection for  intellectual property in most of the world, so what are you going
to sell  back?

>From my perspective it's not enough for Mr Friedman to speculate regarding
".... endless unimagined enterprises ..." that we could pursue to generate the
liquidity to support our foreign purchases.  Friedman needs to be  specific
as to how liquidity will be generated, and he needs to demonstrate his
proposal will work in the real world in a credible time frame.  Our  inability to
generate liquidity is demonstrated in the humongeous trade deficit  that has been
going on for decades - it's a big problem.

Dave