[Rhodes22-list] Reduce your federal income tax (political humor)

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Thu Jun 29 13:51:50 EDT 2006

Bill,

I don't doubt that people were excluded in WWII, but many were  accepted.
And it occurs to me that their simply walking across the boarder  - as so many
immigrants do today - would have been one straightforward solution,  and a very
easy solution back in 1940.  They could have caught a cruise to  NYC, Vera
Cruz, wherever,  and just not gotten back on the ship - I bet  many refugee
immigrants do just that.

Regarding people not born in hospitals not having birth certificates  so they
can't apply for Soc Security,  you and I both know people are born  at home
every day - they are born on the highway, at 30,000 ft,  everywhere - you're
going to tell me that these people are now stateless,  destined to wander the
world as homeless people?  I don't think so.   I'm confident the government -
brain dead though it may be - has a  straightforward way to certify these people
as citizens, and if they can be  certified as citizens they can have a Soc
Security card and/or other proof of  citizenship.

Now you may counter the above by saying the people you were dealing with
just never went to that trouble, but again I have to wonder why.  Having  some
proof of citizenship will let you get a drivers license, proof of ID from  the
DMV, etc.  People use those documents daily to get into bars, drive  cars, get
jobs, etc.  It's passing strange that it just never occurred to  your friends
to make that effort - surely it's inconvenienced them in myriad  ways.  I have
to wonder what's up.

Regarding your statement that substantial payments are made by  the illegal
immigrants to support their infrastructure needs  - this is the  core of our
disconnect.  Neither I, nor Wally, Brad in his dreams, nor  anyone else posting
on this board - other than you - believe that illegal  immigrants working on a
daily cash basis make payments (i.e. report their income  and pay taxes) to
support the social infrastructure they use.  If a  contractor is billing his
costs, THE  CONTRACTOR  (not the  immigrant worker) may have to pay taxes,  as
PT pointed out, but if he's  not billiing hours and  their costs don't appear,
he may well not  pay any taxes.  We may just have to disagree on this issue.
This is  the core issue.

Dave