[Rhodes22-list] Anchoring - Again

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Thu Jun 29 23:00:40 EDT 2006

Folks,

The subject of anchoring has come up several times so when I read the para
below in a post by Jerry Montgomery to the Montgomery board it rang a  bell.
Possibly newbees like myself will be interested.  In the  excerpt below Jerry
is talking in terms of an M-15 or M-17 and his  entire message relates to the
utility of a down haul on an M15.  His  comments about furling the headsail don’
t relate to the R22.  I’ve only  excerpted the part of his post that relates
to anchoring.

I always carry the anchor in the port cockpit locker, and if I'm  single
handing I can drop the jib, pick my spot to drop the anchor, drop the  hook
from the cockpit (by that time the boat has lost way), walk forward as  the
boat drifts back, and set the anchor and tie it off on the bow cleat.  You
can do the same thing with a furler, but what if it hangs up?

Jerry
jerrymontgomery.org

This sounds very similar to the process Bill Effros has described  earlier (
please correct me if I'm wrong Bill), carry the anchor in the cockpit  or laz
and start anchoring from the cockpit.

Dave