[Rhodes22-list] Ed, Bob, Luis - Locales

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Tue Mar 7 20:54:21 EST 2006

Ed,  Thanks for the Lake Thurmond lead, I’ll probably pass on that  though.
Living on a lake named after old Strom could give me pause.   Which raises an
issue I’d overlooked: will eclectic Yankees fit in different  parts of South
Carolina?  Could be interesting.

Re sailing north of Amelia, the guy we spoke with about that (we were
actually in Brunswick Ga at the time) showed us the area you might be referring  to.
 The area he highlighted was approximately elliptical; with channels in  and
out.  It looked more than wide enough to sail in, not just a  channel.  He
said small boats did sail that area, as I recall.  I  measured off the long axis
of the ellipse,  it was about 6 mi.  I  think that area may be the Cumberland
Sound, I’m looking at a different map now,  the original is still with the guy
in Brunswick.  There may be another area  you’re thinking of.

Regarding the Amelia Island link in your post: I have to tell you we saw  the
public marina shown in your link, all the recreational boats in the water
were literally sitting on mud - I’m not exaggerating. Not a lot of water, at
least when the tides out.  Larger commercial/tourist boats  were  docked at the
end of piers that extended well off the shore, probably in a  dredged area.
There is also a private marina as you come on the  island,  the marina operator
told me it was a dredged area (I have nothing  against dredged areas, it just
suggests the area is intrinsically  shallow).  Also, with the private marina,
and probably the public marina,  you’ve got to navigate what appeared to me
to be a maze of channels to get to  open water.

Bob, I followed up on your suggestion and touched base with Tom Scott,  thank
you for that lead.  His response was that PG/PC was indeed hit hard  with the
hurricane, that they are rebuilding (not yet rebuilt).  The  marina is
closed, ramps aren’t great, and the best shot at sailing is to have
waterfront/canal-back property.  Tom said there is a lot of good  sailing there.

Luis, You likely hit the source of bias in our assessment of
Sarasota/Bradenton, we tried to stay close to the coast.  That’s pretty  much what we saw.

Dave