[Rhodes22-list] Ed, Bob, Luis - Locales

Bud budconnor at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 7 21:20:32 EST 2006

Dave,
  you may also want to consider the Melbourne Florida area.  You can
easily sail 15 or 20 miles north or south
of Melbourne on the ICW.   Melbourne is a residential area that is not a
tourist stop, if tourists do come to
the area it is usually to go to Cocoa Beach or the space center.  Two
big pluses: the ICW is nice and wide
here and there is not a lot of traffic to dodge in the channel.  You
will always have lots of room to yourself,
and you can sail year-round.  Though you will want to keep your trailer
handy during hurricane season.
There are several marinas and a few Yacht clubs, slip fees are typically
in the $10/ft range.  Florida is
definitely a "Northern" state, so yankees will fit in just fine.  Oh, I
have been to Amelia Island and have seen
the boats in the mud (I have also seen that near Hilton Head Island).  I
would not want my boat to sit in the
mud each day.  I have never noticed the tide here on the ICW.  If the
tide does rise and fall around here,
it can't be more than an inch or two.

-Bud Connor