[Rhodes22-list] Dave - Locales and Strom Thurmond

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Wed Mar 8 05:04:10 EST 2006

Dave said, "Living on a lake named after old Strom could give me pause.
Which raises an
issue I’d overlooked: will eclectic Yankees fit in different  parts of South
Carolina?  Could be interesting."
      I had the experience of meeting Strom Thurm and assisting his him and
his assisistances execute his method of politics.  The man was honest, hard
working and public minded.  He honestly engaged his constituents for their
feelings on issues.  Unlike many political office holders, he worked hard
for his constituents.  The press paints a negative picture of him, which if
you ever had met him, you would understand is all wrong, even if you are a
liberal or E. C.

Would a Yankee fit in on Lake Hartwell?  I guess Rummy is not back in town,
otherwise he would have
vociferously emphasised the 'no'.  I gather from his previous remarks, he
thinks that there are already too many Yankees on the lake.  It would be
better to go over to the lake that is in the suburbs of Atlanta with Art.
The sailing on the two lakes is very different.  They play bumper
cars(boats) over there.  You can play with Art and Claude over there.  Rummy
only wants serious racers over here, but not too many.

With all the comments trying to increase the real estate values in Florida,
maybe that is the best place for you.  Yes I was talking about Cumberland
Sound.  The Subs are supposed to be on the surface while tansiting it.
However, if you read "Blind Man's Buff" by Sherry Sontag and Christopher
Drew, you would watch out for periscopes.

In dismissing Lake Thurmond, you are missing a very nice place.  The
population boom has not settled around the Lake yet, so there are miles of
pristine shore.  Like Lake Hartwell it is on the Savannah River, just below
Lake Russell, named after another southern senator.  You might remember he
is the one who wore the overcoat with big pockets to collect contributions.
Have you looked at a map?  See:
http://maps.google.com/?ll=33.698065,-82.229919&spn=0.166239,0.30899&t=h

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA