[Rhodes22-list] Re: Bud: ICW depth

Jim White lemenagerie22 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 9 06:59:35 EST 2006

Bud:
  The GICWW (Gulf Intra Coastal Waterway) here is less than 100' wide (16' average depth) for over 50 miles....bordered on both sides by water averaging <3' in depth....

  Now  THATS narrow and shallow!

  jw

Bud <budconnor at earthlink.net> wrote:
  Dave,
the ICW is at least a mile wide here, and is typically deep (8'-12')
and is a great place to sail anything in
our class. I occasionally crew on a Lindbergh '28 (at times we've had 7
people on the rail!) and we have no
trouble maneuvering around the course. Take a quick look on mapquest
and you will see wide water
from Scottsmoor down to Stuart which is over a 100 miles, with Melbourne
in the middle. You will be
suprised how wide and un-crowded this area is. If you want to see a
narrow ICW, take a look at Daytona
on mapquest. If I lived in Daytona I would have taken up motorcycles
instead of sailing. Oh, if you use
GoogleEarth, you can see just how sparsely populated the water really is.

-Bud

Jim White
Le Menagerie
www.lemenagerie.blogspot.com