[Rhodes22-list] intro form the guy with the leaky boat, thank for remindi...

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Sat Mar 11 08:49:28 EST 2006

Great introduction, now for the fix. The top deck and hull come together
beneath the rub rail. The fix is to remove the rubber part of the rub rail. This
will expose either the plastic or aluminum (depending on year) base of the
rub  rail. It is most likely pop riveted in place. Drill out the heads of the
rivets  and you will be able to remove the base.
You will notice the base piece has a lip which curls under the joint. Clean
the area of any old sealant and dirt and I would recommend a final cleaning
with  a good solvent. Once the area is clean and dry, I would recommend sealing
it  with a one part polyurethane sealant like a product called NP1. It is
available  at most roofing supply company's and Sherwin William stores have their
own  brand. If you can't find it, anything that is a one part polyurethane
will  suffice. It is sticky like nothing else and remains pliable for twelve
years in  extreme weather conditions. Great for using on boats.
Instead of applying it to the seam with a trailing motion, you will apply  it
with the nozzle facing forward, forcing sealant into the joint. I found
cutting the tip off flat further down and then notching it with a V was an easy
way to apply it. Place a small bead on the lip of the base and reinstall  with
pop rivets. You will find the old pop rivets inside the cabin for some time
to come.
Now for the real question. I am going to assume that you have actually
sailed the boat and buried the rail enough to force water in the hull in this
manner. Rain water is not likely to enter the boat through this joint. If it is,
then you have a problem with a completely different fix.
I hope this helps. If you need further assistance, please ask.

Rrrrrrrrrrummy