[Rhodes22-list] New member, R22 interest, but very coy

Michel Meltzer mjm at michaelmeltzer.com
Sun Mar 12 23:43:40 EST 2006

For what it worth.

Remember the list is like a people hanging out at the bar, drinking and
talking for the last 10 years. So there is a collective memory of the
people who have come before you. So some insight.

We are a small boat with a low entry point, so at times people jump on
the list who are new to the sport, think sailing is cool, is a sport
that they can do alone, and that good for them because they anti social,
kind of strange, generally paranoid.

Now you mention that you are in the marine business I sure you seen the
type.

I going to take you at your word that you are a sailor, and I assuming
you are a nice person, and I betting that you have the ability for self
refection (otherwise I just wasted my time with this email)

The nominal course of event is a new member introduces themselves, and
people do the "welcome aboard name", but with out that(and first would
have been fine) you just managed to come off  paranoid, it that what you
wanted?

The people love to take about their boats, but in the last few months do
you want to guess how many people got on here kinda passing thought(i.e.
I buy a boat in a few years), generally they drop off in a few weeks, I
sure that not you but " collective memory" thing again, it no fun being
rejected.

The experience thing, did you notice no one is paying "I have more
experience than you game", it is a little tacky, you would have been
better off telling a nice sailing story that show the experience instead
of the 2x4 across the head approach.

Remember most of the member of the list are boat owners.

The players, you do not know them let, you both over reacting and under
reacting.

I subject you find a name, come off as a reasonable sailor, an someone
people want to be around, get to know group and be an active member. But
at this point, you have gotten off to a bad start, an are like a
airplane in a drive, you know it going to crash. I your case you are
going to delist in days within a statement pretty close "how dare these
people" when all that happened is that you never pulled out of drive.