[Rhodes22-list] Re: Transom mount transducer

Gregg J. MacMillan gjm at macgra.com
Fri Mar 24 08:57:19 EST 2006

At 10:10 PM -0600 3/23/06, andrew collins wrote:
>I had saved your input on a transom mount speed(?) transducer, using
>a clever arrangement of PVC pipe to
>make it removable, but cannot find the post. Could you re-post this?

Here it is:

--Gregg

Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 18:19:09 -0500
From: Mary Lou Troy <mltroy at verizon.net>
Subject: depth transducer Re: [Rhodes22-list] GPS and Depth Finder

Rummy mentioned our transducer mount - it's a little tacky but it
works. We were going to mount our transducer to shoot through the
hull in the lazarette. In testing it out we found that it worked
until we got into shallow water (less than 8 ft.) and then turbulence
either from the keel or the motor seemed to disrupt it. Since our
transducer was designed for a stern mount we decided to mount it
there temporarily while we decided what to do. That was about six
years ago.

The transducer is mounted on a length of PVC. The PVC has a cap on
the top and two stainless steel hooks that fit over the stern rail.
One hook supports the  PVC when the transducer is in the water, the
other supports it in a position well out of the water. A U-bolt with
a removable plate holds the PVC against the stern rail support
adjacent to the swim ladder.  Pictures are attached. One is of the
boat sailing away from the camera. You can see the PVC pipe next to
the swim ladder and the fishfinder screen on a removable mount next
to the left of the companionway. Another picture is of the PVC with
the hook over the stern rail. Next is the U-bolt holding the PVC
against the stern rail support. The cable runs over the transom and
along the drain channel at the back of the seats to the line-holder
for the the centerboard pennant to the screen on the other side of
the companionway. Last (if these transmit in order) is the transducer
attached to the base of the PVC.

The transducer reads fairly accurately on the stern. It varies a bit
from tack to tack but it's close enough to the centerline that this
isn't an issue. It does come out of the water if we are hobbyhorsing
over wakes or in steep chop but we try not to do that much.

Hope someone found this interesting.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Ft. Washington, PA / Swan Creek, MD

At 09:10 AM 1/13/2006 -0500, you wrote:
>Mark,
>If you do decide on a depth finder, I'm with Mary Lou, get a combination
>fish finder/depth finder. We have one on the Chris Craft and they are nice
>because you can see what's on the bottom. Ours also tells us the
>water  temperature
>and the unit is mounted on the transom of the boat. You might ask  Mary Lou
>where they have the transducer mounted on the R22.
>
>Rummy

Name: fretlesssailing.jpg Type: image/jpeg Size: 101080 bytes Desc:
not available

Name: depth mount 001a.jpg Type: image/jpeg Size: 139511 bytes Desc:
not available

Name: depth mount 002a.jpg Type: image/jpeg Size: 44607 bytes Desc:
not available

Name: depth mount 004a.jpg Type: image/jpeg Size: 62629 bytes Desc:
not available

M a c M i l l a n  G r a p h i c s
1 . 8 0 0 . 7 7 1 . 3 1 7 1
2002 Ford Circle, Milford, OH  45150