[Rhodes22-list] Fenders?

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sat Mar 25 22:57:19 EST 2006

Dave,

I use fenders a lot to come into a public dock.  I use the Bob Weber
technique, but get off my boat with lines attached to boat cleats to
come to a complete stop by wrapping the bitter ends around dockside
cleats, stern first.  It looks elegant when it works.  I don't like to
hand my lines to people on shore unless I know they know what to do next.

I have used the round fenders, but have a problem with them whenever
something comes up under them, and pushes them up and away from the
boat.  I now favor the long fenders--the more the merrier.  I generally
come in with 5 on one side.

Taylor sells a 4-pack of oval cross-section fenders at a very reasonable
price.  They don't roll when under the seats, and lay flat against the
boat when coming in.  There is plenty of room under the cockpit seats
for as many fenders as you could ever want.

I have one oversize long fender which I keep tied to the handle on the
cabin, along with 2 oval fenders to the rear to keep the launch from
banging up the boat under the gunwale when people get to my boat before
I get there.  The long fender kisses the water.  But my boat doesn't get
scratched up by the launch any more.

The fenders will absorb a lot of energy if you come into something
intentionally broadside (the Weber method--Point in at an angle, then
swing the stern into the object so all fenders hit at roughly the same
time, and none get brushed aside.)

It takes a while to experience all the different problems--having an
array of energy absorbing fenders makes it easier to deal with
situations you can't imagine when you're just imagining.

Bill Effros