[Rhodes22-list] Fenders?

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sat Mar 25 23:10:08 EST 2006

I  use 2 15 footers and 2 25s color coded (the 15s are black, the 25s
are red) stored in the cubbys.  I put a 25 on the bow cleat, and a 15 on
the stern cleat, both led back to the cockpit with all lines led outside
all rails and stays.  Then I step off the boat when the stern hits the
dock (I never jump, I always step) and wrap the black line on the rear
cleat, go forward and pull in the bow around the forward cleat, and lock
the bow in position.  Then I return to the stern cleat, pull in the
stern -- not too tight -- and lock in the stern.  The motor is not
turned off until the boat is fully under control at the dock, although
it has been idling in neutral from a distance of several boat lengths
from the dock.  I use the rudder to slow down the boat on the way into
the dock, so that I am usually moving at little more than rudder stall
speed by the time the fenders kiss the dock, and I get off--when things
go right.

You will encounter wind, wake, current, and dumb sailors who will
complicate this maneuver.  The lines prove useful in a thousand ways.

Bill Effros