[Rhodes22-list] Non Sailing Question - cheap used cars

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Thu Mar 30 13:01:17 EST 2006

Ed,

Tis a connundrum.  The winners for reliability are Toyota, Honda, and  Suburu
- but that’s a known quantity and priced into the product.  Used  Toyotas,
Honda’s and Suburu’s are going to cost more, but may run better and  longer
than other brands.  Looking at my 06 Consumers Report Buying Guide  the following
are only average:
Suburu Legacy 00,01,02
Impreza  99
Forester 98,99,00
Honda Odessy 99,02
Toyota Solara 04, Sequoia 03, Sienna 03
All other Toyotas, Hondas and  Suburus are above average.

All Chevy Geo Prizms are above average, they rated 97 thru 02
Ford  Escort ZX2 97, 99, 02 is rated above average, other years are average.
 However, I have read there are problems w early Escorts.

Ford F150 2wd 04 is average, the rest are above average.
Ford F150 4wd,  99 is average, 04 is much worse than average (i.e. avoid),
the rest are above  average.
Nissan pickup Fronter, avoid 04, the rest are better than  average.

We drive a Toytoa van, at 125K mi and counting it’s been the best car  I ever
owned.

But then, how about one of those WWII vintage DUCKs.  You know, the
amphibious wheeled vehicle.  It's kind of large to park, but you probably  wouldn't
have to worry about other small cars.  Just mount a mast on that  sucker and
you're in business.  Around the town or around the lake  you-da-man, and all
those guys with Hummers will be green with envy.

Just a thought.

Dave