[Rhodes22-list] cheap used cars - Zephyrus

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Fri Mar 31 05:03:07 EST 2006

Todd:
     You said, "(Toyota) has had zero problems except for a
propensity to drive off snow covered highways (Hmmm, that may be do to
issues beyond Toyota's control)."  I suggest it may not be beyond Toyota's
control.
I am replacing a 95 Geo Prism.  Toyota's design, and it has had noticeable
steering control issues since I got it.  This was very noticeable on wet
pavement or snow.  I wound up getting Goodyear wet road tires to help solve
that issue.  The aquatracks made a noticeable difference on slippery roads.
However, I remain convinced that it is some sort of design issue.
      I replaced my Dodge van with a Ford 150 van.  I would recommend the
Ford 150 to all.  While not as heavy as the 250 discussed elseware, it
drives very well, excellant visability, and tows boats well.  Stan and Elton
are partial to the 350 series, and again I have towed with the 350 and rate
it excellant.
Due to impending competition, Ford has worked to improve its light trucks
and while no experience with your Nissan, I would recommend the F-150
because of my comments above and its availability of service and parts after
the initial purchase.  It has a good history and is getting better.
      Since I use my van for other than towing, I looked long and hard for a
good used one.  I wound up with a small v-8, four speed auto with overdrive.
This vehicle is not common, but offers long bed towing, a degree of fuel
efficiency, and so far has been very comfortable to drive.  Actually,
noticeably more comfortable than Asian designed cars.  The seating comfort
and drive comfort as mentioned by Slim should definitely be considered.
       I have no experience with the Ford Explorer family of cars.  Do they
have the same comfort as the F150 series?
       Do other German designed cars have good comfort for driving?  Any
back aches with German cars like the Jetta?  How about the Volvo?  I can get
the answer about the Volvo in family since there are several.  However, they
start expensive and are expensive to maintain.
       My son is on his second Honda.  Good car record.  At his age, comfort
is not an issue.
       Again, thanks to all who have commented on this issue.

       Zephyrus, is that the word root for Zephyr?  Now 'woosey west wind'
has a nautical ring and a modern reference, www.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA