[Rhodes22-list] Captain Peter Thorn - Champion Sailboat Racer

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Tue May 2 23:02:05 EDT 2006

Dave,

We got a used Yamaha 9.9 with our boat, I gather from your post you got a
9.9 also.  When Elton delivered our boat he had no info with  him about the
motor, but he promised to check his stuff when he got back  to Edenton and send us
a copy of whatever he found.  I haven't heard  back and I've bugged once -
I'm sure he's more than busy this time of  year.

Lacking info from Elton, I've looked on the Yamaha website for info and
found they have decades  of motors, different  lines of motors, etc  - they've
made a lot of motors over the years.  Unfortunately, I  don't know the year of
our motor, class (e.g. high thrust, or what), etc;  all I know is that it's
rated at 9.9 hp, long shaft, four stroke.  Lacking  specific info, I can't really
sort through their smorgasbord of manuals,  etc.

Can you tell me anything about your motor?  Year?  Model?   It might help me
find our model on the Yamaha website.  Clearly, I'm  grasping at straws and
assuming your motor maps to  ours.

I have zero background with outboards.  Do you know how to check the  oil on
your motor?  How to add oil?  How to pop the cowling?  Any  other routine
checks and maintenance that should be done?  Any info will be  appreciated. The
motor starts and runs well, but I won't be   comfortable with it until I know
how to maintain it and at least the rudiments  of how to fix it.

DaveL