[Rhodes22-list] Captain Peter Thorn - Champion Sailboat Racer

David Bradley dwbrad at gmail.com
Tue May 2 23:16:01 EDT 2006

Dave,

If you check on the motor shaft there should be a metal plate with the date
of manufacture.  Elsewhere on the motor should be a model number.

I'm told that Elton and Stan have cornered the market on the discontinued
Yamaha with the remote control function.  My motor was an unused '99.  I'm
told that the engine didn't change through those model years.  At this point
I'm happy to have it and just want it to work well.

I haven't tried raising the motor with the tiller lock connected, but I'm
sure at some stressful moment it will happen.  My guess is that it will
torque the hell out of the plastic pieces until it stops the winch.  Anybody
have acutal data on this??

To remove the motor cowling lean wayyyy over the back of the motor, try not
to dive off the stern, and flip the lever there at the base of the cowling.
Lift it off and you'll see the oil reservoir.  Just keep it filled with
4-cylcle motor oil.  Your motor should have a light to tell you if it's low
on oil.  Go to a marina to buy 4-cycle oil so you can pay extra.  At the end
of the year pay a Yamaha dealer to winterize your motor and it will be ready
to fire in the spring.  Whatever you do don't just leave it sitting for the
winter.

Good luck!

Dave B.

On 5/2/06, DCLewis1 at aol.com <DCLewis1 at aol.com> wrote:

> Dave,
>
> We got a used Yamaha 9.9 with our boat, I gather from your post you got a
> 9.9 also.  When Elton delivered our boat he had no info with  him about
> the
> motor, but he promised to check his stuff when he got back  to Edenton and
> send us
> a copy of whatever he found.  I haven't heard  back and I've bugged once -
> I'm sure he's more than busy this time of  year.
>
> Lacking info from Elton, I've looked on the Yamaha website for info and
> found they have decades  of motors, different  lines of motors, etc  -
> they've
> made a lot of motors over the years.  Unfortunately, I  don't know the
> year of
> our motor, class (e.g. high thrust, or what), etc;  all I know is that
> it's
> rated at 9.9 hp, long shaft, four stroke.  Lacking  specific info, I can't
> really
> sort through their smorgasbord of manuals,  etc.
>
> Can you tell me anything about your motor?  Year?  Model?   It might help
> me
> find our model on the Yamaha website.  Clearly, I'm  grasping at straws
> and
> assuming your motor maps to  ours.
>
> I have zero background with outboards.  Do you know how to check the  oil
> on
> your motor?  How to add oil?  How to pop the cowling?  Any  other routine
> checks and maintenance that should be done?  Any info will
> be  appreciated. The
> motor starts and runs well, but I won't be   comfortable with it until I
> know
> how to maintain it and at least the rudiments  of how to fix it.
>
> DaveL

David Bradley
203.253.9973
dwbrad at gmail.com