[Rhodes22-list] Getting ready to trailer boat

Michael Meltzer mjm at michaelmeltzer.com
Mon May 8 00:36:07 EDT 2006

First off,

Take the trailer to a local trailer place and have them repack the
barring/spindle, also give the trailer the once over(like the brakes(they
freeze up), tires(they crack), hitch(rusting), the winch and strap,
etc...), What happens is the grease has run out over the years and the
wheels will fall off 100 miles from home. Very good investment for a safe
trip(not to mention trashing the boat)

Use the extension, move the "stop" on the trailer all the way
forward(towards the car), back the trailer down the ramp so only the last 2
inch of the bunks tip are sticking out. Leave the centerboard down, motor
onto the trailer centered/straight on the bunk tips(do not try on a heavy
wind day, with a cross wind, or in a reviver current, they all will push you
right off the trailer and you do not know how to correct).

Best advice is do not push a bad hand, back off and try again or another
day.

Once it on the trailer, winch it up as far as it will go(someone's feet are
going to get wet), more forward the better. Lift the rudder/motor and pull
the boat.

I derig in the parking lot, bring some scrap carpet, electrical tape and
wirewrap, the to big mistakes is not disconnecting the poptop from the mast
and leveling a hatch open/unlocked(the shatter real nice at 60 mph :-)
The trick with packing is make sure nothing is rubbing.

I sure a better write than myself can describe how they pack their boat.

-mjm