[Rhodes22-list] Role reversals

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Sun May 14 16:25:25 EDT 2006

John,

The story is on the front page of Sats WSJ.  You might find a copy and  read
it yourself, that would eliminate my biases.  From my perspective, the  WSJ is
an enthusiastic apologists for anything the Bush administration does so  you
have to consciously derate what they say and try to be aware of what’s  really
going on.

As I recall the devaluation was all about the trade deficit.  I  don’t think
they called out China specifically, but if you break it down by  country the
big imbalance is with China.  The Administration’s approach is  pretty
sophomoric, if we cut the value of the $ then the cost of our goods  to others will be
less, they’ll buy more, thus mitigating the deficit.

To those of us that graduated from the third grade there are a couple of
obvious problems: First, the big problem is with developing countries,
specifically China.  If the rimimbi is pegged to our $, and we let our  currency
devalue, their currency automatically devalues and all you really  have is a
deflationary cycle.  You can't devalue your way out of the  problem as long as they
maintain their peg.  This is a very likely outcome  since their industries
absolutely have to have our demand.  Second, can you  really devalue enough to
make a difference? With the US you are dealing with  $15/hr workers, in the
developing world (China, Malaysia, India) you’re dealing  with  50 cents/hr, so
even after any “reasonable” devaluation there is  still a huge disconnect that
is only going to be redressed when American workers  move into mud huts - you
can see this dynamic being played out at  Delphi/GM.

The sophomore economists in the administration have yet to sort out the
above.  Actually there is a straightforward solution to the problem called
tariffs, but tariffs are politically incorrect. It's important to  understand that
"free trade" is a theology not a thought process, and a central  tenet of free
trade is that tariffs are bad - it's part of the creed - so forget  tariffs.

In the meantime, in the real world the real story is that the dollar has
already devalued markedly as a consequence of historically huge trade and
government deficits that are passively accepted by the “conservative” Bush
administration.  To be explicit, at the end of the Clinton administration  you could
buy 1.3 Euros for a dollar, now you get 69 cents for a Euro - that’s a  huge
shift and it’s getting worse (and I think it’s the major contributing  factor
to $3/gal gas).    Without a huge shift in the way this  country and this
government does business, devaluation is going to continue and  get worse.  This
is a big problem, nations have failed because of their  money supply was
debased (e.g. Germany post WWI).

So what’s really going on is that the "conservative" Administration  has
decided to accept the current situation because they don’t have  the guts to try
to change or fix it, and because they are largely  responsible for it. They are
going to let the dollar fall against other  currencies and gold and pronounce
it "policy".  All your assets that you've  worked and saved for are worth
less, the economic value of your work,  and every other Americans work, is worth
less when measured against an  external standard.  Don't you feel good?

If you do feel good about it standby, the consequence of devaluation is
inflation, you're going to love that to.

And it's all a consequence of "conservatives" (Reagan, Bush1 and Bush2)
extraordinary abuse of debt to finance government operations - none of them can
spell "balanced budget" -and a theological commitment to "free trade"  (WalMart
and every other importer loves these guys).

Which comes back to the Role Reversal concept that Robert introduced.
Incredible as it sounds, the quantitative record unambiguously shows that  over the
past 100 years, and absolutely since Reagan,  the Democrats  are much more
responsible when it comes to running the economy and the  government than the
"conservative" Republicans - Jerry Fallwell  notwithstanding.

Dave