[Rhodes22-list] alternative energy

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Wed May 17 20:52:24 EDT 2006

We have a guy up here in Portland, Maine who is
collecting used fry oil, filtering it and
precipitating adulterants, and burning it in his
truck.

Stoves are being fitted with augers to feed wood
chips and boilers are being converted to use
grass pellets.  My clone of hybrid poplar
(adapted to Maine weather) grows 5' a year and
produces biomass at a greater rate than most
other vegetation.

I believe that some grasses produce greater
biomass per square yard than any tree, and straw
is a byproduct of grain production, so I guess
that grass pellets are the best long-term
solution to heating requirements, assuming that
we are not able to harness solar, tidal, and/or
wind energy.

With the large number of deep finger bays we
have in Maine, and our 9 to 20 foot tides, I
suspect that we will be tapping tidal flows
for electricity generation.  Unfortunately,
that will put paid to some of our best
gunkholing.

/Robert Skinner