[Rhodes22-list] alternative energy

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Wed May 17 21:35:10 EDT 2006

Brad -

You are addressing your argument to the
wrong guy.  I assume that oil is on the
way out.

The fry oil has one benefit -- it smells
good.  Better than perpetual motion ideas,
anyway.

Cheers!
/Robert
---------------------------------------
brad haslett wrote:

> Robert,
>
> We have enough fat people in this country without
> getting them addicted to french fries to fuel their
> cars.  Used fry oil to biodiesel is a pretty simple
> process.  Better that it gets burned in a car than the
> other options but it won't make a dent in the national
> energy budget.  If we plant rapeseed, not soybeans,
> hedgerow to hedgerow nationwide, we can replace about
> 10% of our diesel demand.  Not a total solution but
> good start.  When oil gets to $100 a barrel, say a
> year or so, the market will come up with a new
> solutions.  Get used to living with less of the stuff.
>
> Brad
>
> --- Robert Skinner <robert at squirrelhaven.com> wrote:
>
> > We have a guy up here in Portland, Maine who is
> > collecting used fry oil, filtering it and
> > precipitating adulterants, and burning it in his
> > truck.
> >
> > Stoves are being fitted with augers to feed wood
> > chips and boilers are being converted to use
> > grass pellets.  My clone of hybrid poplar
> > (adapted to Maine weather) grows 5' a year and
> > produces biomass at a greater rate than most
> > other vegetation.
> >
> > I believe that some grasses produce greater
> > biomass per square yard than any tree, and straw
> > is a byproduct of grain production, so I guess
> > that grass pellets are the best long-term
> > solution to heating requirements, assuming that
> > we are not able to harness solar, tidal, and/or
> > wind energy.
> >
> > With the large number of deep finger bays we
> > have in Maine, and our 9 to 20 foot tides, I
> > suspect that we will be tapping tidal flows
> > for electricity generation.  Unfortunately,
> > that will put paid to some of our best
> > gunkholing.
> >
> > /Robert Skinner
> >
> > Saroj Gilbert wrote:
> > >
> > > Brad... I just heard that it is legal to own an
> > ethanol still... didn't
> > > catch if it was national or state-wide... but
> > seems it would have to be
> > > national... for those die-hard and very committed
> > alternative energy
> > > folks... not sure I'm up for it yet, but my dear
> > friend might be... I also
> > > heard from my son that there is a coop in No.
> > Calif.  that collects used
> > > restaurant oil and processes it... they are
> > sharing the results... diesel
> > > fuel at .18 a gallon... yes, folks... that's
> > eighteen cents...
> > >
> > > I just sent the link to the water to hydrogen
> > product for "home" use...  a
> > > video clip...  water is still pretty cheap except
> > in the desert states  :-)
> > >
> > > Saroj
> http://mail.yahoo.com

Robert Skinner         Coordinates N43° 41.330', W70° 24.889'
"Squirrel Haven", 9 Gateway Commons, Gorham, Maine 04038-1331
'87 Potter 15 # 1618 "Little Dipper", '94 P19 # 754 "Edith P"
Home message and FAX machine 207-839-8777, Cell 207-653-1752