[Rhodes22-list] Response to sailing topic, gee wiz, Tom Trenkle

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Sat May 20 09:45:22 EDT 2006

Tom,
      In the archives are great discussions on the trailerability of the
Rhodes 22.  That is what this boat is really about.  A very good sailboat
that you can tote to other locations.  I hope you noticed Chris G.'s recent
post about his trip to Baja California last summer.  If not go back and find
and read the whole adventure.  It is one of those things in the archives
worth looking up and reading.  Also have your wife read it.  If you have a
printer, print it out and drool.
       And there are other good adventures in the archives.  On the subject
of the eBay boat, it may be worth what he is asking, it you are willing to
play big stakes poker.  It is now my opinion that any fiberglass boat can be
restored.   However, it may cost more to restore than it cost to buy a known
good quality boat.  At that price, I doubt that Stan could buy it, recycle
it and sell and make any money.  Even though it may have been maintained, it
will require work and $$$ to bring it up to the level of a recycled boat
from Stan.  And then you would not have the guarentee that Stan offers.
        Trailerability, now that is the topic.  If you get Stan's mast
raising and lowering system, one person can safely raise and lower the mast.
I have the equipment and have done it by myself many times.  And I have done
it with the help of others, like Rummy, Stan  and Elton.  On the list are
those who do it all the time trying to set a speed record.  I take my time
and pull the boat, lower the mast and secure for travel in a couple of hours
all by myself.   It is something that I know you cannot do with other 22
foot sailboats.  The IMF offers something unique in sailing,  once you get
used to,  you keep trying to figure how to infinitely reef a standard main.
        If that is your interest and intent, then a recycled boat from Stan
is worth it.  Ask Bill Effros his opinion of the IMF sail plan.  It would be
good to get him on a topic which he presents well.
        To get a marine head you will need a relatively recent boat.  As you
point out, your wife will appreciate it.  Keep in mind that there are
advocates on this list of having the powder room design but having a porta
poty in their, just ask Mary Lou about porta potties.
         Have you been on a R22 yet?  You might give Ron Lipton a hollar and
see how far away he really is.  One thing that you would find out is that
with the versitility of the boat, you would actually use it.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA