[Rhodes22-list] Submitted 2 Questions Regarding "Tuning our Boat" and "Backing into Slip"

Laurie Meacham lmeacham at earthlink.net
Wed May 31 22:57:44 EDT 2006

Earlier today we submitted two questions on my husbands laptop using his e-mail address.

1.)  We want to tune our boat to have a little "weather" helm rather than "lee" helm.  The standard method for correction is to lengthen the forestay.  Currently our IMF mast is standing off a true right angle, with a smaller angle aft.  I am hesitant to lengthen the forestay, in fear of putting extra strain on the IMF bearings with a mast that is not perpendicular.  Please advise us on a solution.

2.)  Does anyone have any tips on backing into a slip?  We have a 4-stroke, 5-horse Mercury engine.  Backing into our slip would give us easier access to our cockpit, rather than walking across the bow.  I would want to continue the practice of keeping the rudder up when not in use.  Does the best backing method include rudder and centerboard up and relying solely on the outboard motor?

After submitting these two questions (as mentioned above) you responded by saying he was not on "The List".  Well I am a member of this list and would appreciate any information that you have to offer.  However, I do not want you to direct answers to my e-mail rather send them to my spouses e-mail.  (He is the "Captain" of our sailing vessel, and the one responsible for all the fine navigating.)

Currently I am averaging approximately 164 e-mails from this list daily and am overwhelmed by all the responses, some of which have nothing to do with sailing and take time to look over and then have to delete.  I do not think it is necessary to have responses doubled to the same household.

Please submit any and all helpful tips to:  dmeacham at dmv.com

Thank you for your responses.