[Rhodes22-list] Politics: Term Limits

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sat Nov 4 11:09:58 EST 2006

I don't know what I think about Term Limits, either.  Robert Byrd has
been an excellent Senator for West Virginia.  He brought home the bacon
for his constituents.  He also learned how to operate in that
environment over time.  Would we get better legislation if everybody was
a newcomer?  Or would the congressional staffs just shift from one
legislator to the next--with the real power residing in the hands of
staff doing things the elected person doesn't really understand?

My brother is a Washington Lobbyist.  Most legislation today is written
by lobbyists.  I don't know how I feel about that, either.  They know
far more about their individual issues than elected people trying to
master thousands of topics on very short notice.

To the extent we underpay elected officials we insure that we will elect
only crooks and millionaires.  Who else would take this job?

Revolving door legislators who leave their jobs to join government,
write legislation that favors their previous employer, and then leave
government to rejoin their now enriched companies, doesn't seem like
such a great idea, either.

Bill Effros