[Rhodes22-list] Politics: Term Limits

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Sat Nov 4 18:49:38 EST 2006

Bill Effros wrote:
> I don't know what I think about Term Limits, either.  Robert Byrd has
> been an excellent Senator for West Virginia.  He brought home the bacon
> for his constituents.  He also learned how to operate in that
> environment over time.  Would we get better legislation if everybody was
> a newcomer?  Or would the congressional staffs just shift from one
> legislator to the next--with the real power residing in the hands of
> staff doing things the elected person doesn't really understand?

Robert here:

Bill, we have legislative term limits in Maine.

Most legislators spend at least their first term
trying to get control of the beaurocratic staff.

A large part of Maine's high tax situation is a
result of entrenched bureacracy.  As one wag put
it, government programs are the next best thing
to perpetual life.

Term limits are not an unalloyed benefit.

/Robert