[Rhodes22-list] Reply to Mark Putnam about Motor Mounts

Rob Lowe rlowe at vt.edu
Tue Nov 7 10:12:50 EST 2006

Ed/Rummy,
I'm not sure cutting the plywood differently would have mattered much.
Plywood is strongest in shear or compression, but lacks strength in tension,
bending, and has poor "punch (or pull) through" strength.  Not sure how the
motor is installed on this backing plate, but I'm guessing the plywood
started to bend and then the adhesives would pop loose.  The steel plate you
added resists the bending forces.  I like the idea of using plastic or solid
metal.  Either way, we see the importance of having a safety cable. - rob