[Rhodes22-list] National Debt

Joseph Hadzima josef508 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 10 07:23:50 EST 2006

Hi Slim

I don't have all the answers either, however, I believe I have an understanding of the situation.  When I was "down-sized" my personal debt increased.  I still needed to support my family, and knew I would be able to pay it off later (at least I had high hopes).  We had the same thing happened on a much larger scale for the country.  I know two people that have a line of credit on their house - just so they can write a check, if the company puts them back on the street.

Anyone recall the "Dot Bomb" crisis? Many IT type companies going belly-up in 1999, 2000, & 2001?  A lot of unemployment dollars were spent, including extensions to benefits, and training programs.  Since people were unemployed we weren't getting tax money from them, or the matching funds from their companies.

We had a surplus prior to 9/11, however, the Army we had at that didn't have flack vests for all the troops. The nasty little war in Iraq is a major $$ drain, and if we didn't have that we could have not paid for armor plated Hummers, and flack vests, and let the next administration worry about it if/when they need to send in troops somewhere. With the change in the balance of power, we'll be out of there in 2 more years (3 years tops) , and can start working on reducing the debt. :-)

Also since 9/11 people stopped traveling, and it took several years and a bunch of tax cuts to keep the entire travel industry from collapse.  Remember  the stock markets were closed for a week after that Tuesday, and when they opened the country almost landed in a depression.  The usual government response is increase spending/ & tax cuts to counter it.

Additionally, we had NCLB and people demanded it be funded. FL had two nasty hurricane seasons, then last year  LA, MS & TX had a little bad weather, and we bought/rented a bunch of trailers for people.

The bottom line is when times get hard, you sometimes get into some hard debt.  Unlike people, the country should survive long enough to pay it all off.  Yes we're taking a mortgage on our kids' future. but I think we're spending a lot of the money on them right now.

Yes too much debt is a very bad thing.  But, if you're using debt to get through an emergency, rather making it a part of daily life, then you have a chance of getting away with it.  This debt thingy is what put the extreme people in power two years ago.

The real question I think is "how much debt is too much?".  the number sound big,but we still need to put it in prospective by considering the relative earning potential, and time to pay back.  this is a hughe debt, and we'll need to pay it back before the next crisis.  I think our credit is still at least fair  :-)

HADZ (a.k.a. joe)

"That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and hull and a deck and sails. That's what a ship needs. But what a ship is... is freedom."
-- Captain Jack Sparrow