[Rhodes22-list] Politics and discussion between Slim, Brad, et al.

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 13:05:21 EST 2006

Dave,

Please, buy a history book.  Here's the link again.

http://www.cbo.gov/showdoc.cfm?index=2731&sequence=2

Federal government borrowing as a percentage of GNP (the only rational way
to look at it) has varied up and down regardless of which party occupied the
White House.  The peak, in fact, was under FDR.  He did have a little war on
his hands so let's forget what party he belonged to and give him some slack.

Reagan borrowed money and put the Cold War behind us.  When the Soviet Union
ended it set the scene for Clinton to benefit from the "peace dividend".  He
might have spent it on new programs but the Republican sweep of 1994 didn't
allow it.  Record taxes from the DotCom boom allowed the debt to be paid
off.  The real problem is the long term cost of entitlements.  Either we
raise taxes, I mean really raise taxes, along the likes of Europe, or we cut
back on entitlements.

You did get one thing right, just the one thing.  Conservatives don't like
to pay taxes.  At least I don't!

Brad