[Rhodes22-list] Politics

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 04:14:33 EST 2006

Herb,

 Before it was Kellogg, Brown & Root, it was just Brown & Root.  You may
remember, B & R was accused of getting sweetheart deals in Vietnam from the
Johnson administration.  Ah, some things never change.

Here's my story with Brown & Root.  My first flying job (1975) was for a
company in Waco, TX that sold distribution transformers.  We did a lot of
military contracts because of our size (small) on set-aside contracts, and
also because we could make small production runs of odd voltage units.  I
was sent to Houston to the B & R hangar to pickup two engineers.  My
airplane (a Cessna 310L) would fit under the wing of the smallest thing B &
R had on the ramp. I walked into their lobby, introduced myself, and
inquired about Mr.SoandSos.  The one engineer looked at me and said, "you're
the co-pilot, right?"

"No, sir, I'm the pilot."

"How old is the co-pilot?" (I was 18 at the time)

"There isn't one, I'm it."

"Where's the airplane?"  I pointed to the 310, which I was quite proud of,
parked next to one of their G2's.

"Bullshit, I'm not going!".  My boss got on the phone and finally convinced
them I wouldn't kill them and off we went.

You are correct about KBR.  The division has been a drag on Haliburton's
core business.

Brad