[Rhodes22-list] Politics and discussion between Slim, Brad, et al.

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 04:44:40 EST 2006

Dave,

Put things in historical perspective.  At the end of the Carter
administration we had 21% interest rates and a 70% marginal income tax
rate.  The country was in the worst recession since the Great Depression.  I
was attempting to sell airplanes at the time.  Because of the excessive
marginal tax rates, you could sell a doctor a new airplane on lease-back and
it would be positive cash-flow for the first year if it never flew once.  We
still didn't sell many anyway because of interest rates and the dismal
economy.

Regan used deficit spending to go on an aggressive military spending spree.
The Soviet economy was already fragile and couldn't keep-up.  How much is
the fall of the Soviet Empire worth?  How much of the "Peace Dividend' that
we cashed in the 90's the result of spending in the 80's?

The Regan tax cuts were responsible for an almost 600% run-up in the stock
market in the next twenty years.

Think of it this way.  Two kids graduate from high school - one goes to
college and the other fries hamburgers for the next four years.  They get
together four years later and one says, "I'm $100K in debt but I have a
college degree and a good paying job!"  The other brags, "yea, but I'm debt
free!"  Who is better off?

It would be great if we never had to borrow money, both personally and as a
nation, but sometimes it makes good sense.  The key is, we should get
something for the money, ie, infrastructure, safety, a booming economy,
etc.  If we borrow to fund entitlement programs, we feel good until the
money runs out.  Kinda like running up the credit card on vacation when you
think about it.

On the other hand, if a persons real beef is deficit spending while cutting
taxes because their real goal is re-distribution of wealth - no amount of
logic or reason will prevail.

Brad