[Rhodes22-list] Rep. Henry Waxman, D-Calif/The rest of the story

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 06:00:53 EST 2006

Rummy,

Waxman "rattling his sabre" so soon after the election is precisely one of
the issues Nancy will face.  The Blue Dog faction of the House just went up
from 37 to 44, that's roughly 1/5 of the House.  A lot of incoming Freshman
ran as middle-of-the-road candidates from conservative districts. They no
doubt are already thinking about re-election and what the coastal
Congressmen and their antics will create. Nancy has committed to restoring
seniority which means Rangel, Waxman, the "otta-be-in-jail" Hastings, and
other far left old hands will get key committee positions. I predict either
one of two scenarios will develop:  Nancy will rule with an iron fist and
the House will immediately tack left, or, the Blue Dogs and the Freshmen
will wrestle control from the old hands.  The intra-party struggles will be
more interesting to watch than the Dem-GOP fight. Rangel has already run his
mouth off about Mississippi which drew some ire from
the Democratic Mississippi delegation.  This is fun to watch!

Don't expect a lot to get done in the meantime.

Brad