[Rhodes22-list] Brad's flying

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Sat Nov 11 07:05:47 EST 2006

Brad,
	Your story reminds me of a fellow I flew with in Kansas.  We were both in
the Air Force, my friend was just an airman, e-3.  He must have been 19 and
a qualified A & P.  I guess he was jet mechanic.  They were flying and
training F-105’s out of there,   saddles on smokestacks.

	He had a Navion of his own.  He kept it flyable.  We were up one winter day
and a sudden snow storm gave us very limited visibility.  Neither of us were
instrument rated and that plane only had a radio, altimeter and compass.  We
made radar on the tower of the base and they gave us some headings and
altitudes.  We actually saw the runway at 500 feet on a straight in approach
but you could not see the other end of the runway.  But that was a two mile
runway for B-52 and F-105’s so what if we were in the middle.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
Addendum:
High Flight by John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth

And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth

Of sun-split clouds...and done a hundred things

You have not dreamed of...wheeled and soared and swung

High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,

I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung

My eager craft through footless halls of air.

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue

I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace

Where never lark, or even eagle flew.

And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod

The high untrespassed sanctity of space

Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.