[Rhodes22-list] Tax Advice? 401k's

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sun Nov 12 22:08:03 EST 2006

Rik,

Let's say the rich guy earns $1,000,000 a year, and the poor guy earns
$50,000.  When all is said and done under the current system, each pays
20% of his income in taxes -- $10,000 for the poor guy.  $200,000 for
the rich guy.

Now we switch to a flat 20% VAT.

The poor guy spends $60,000 a year (using credit cards to make ends
meet).  His tax goes from $10,000 a year to $12,000 a year.

The rich guy can't buy enough Beamers to spend more than $500,000 a
year.  His tax goes from $200,000 a year to $100,000 a year.  But
luckily, there are plenty of poor guys making up the difference, so the
scheme is revenue neutral as far as the government is concerned.

VAT is a good deal for the rich guys, and a poor deal for the poor guys.

But hey!  A lot of the really rich people around here actually do roll
around in 2 year old Chevys and 4 year old Buicks.  It's only the
"nouveau riche" who buy Ferraris.

Bill Effros