[Rhodes22-list] Latest on the Boat

Hank hnw555 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 11:11:03 EST 2006

Hi Gang,

Just wanted to give an update on what we are doing with the boat we bought
off of eBay back in September.  We got the IMF out this last weekend with
only one problem.  The PO had installed a cleat on the mast and the screws
protruded in and wouldn't let the IMF slide past.  The screws were frozen to
the cleat and we ended up having to cut the cleat off with a sawzall.  After
that it was a breeze.  Both sails are in decent shape and we plan to send
them to Sailcare for cleaning and re-resining.  The Jib needs a new
sunbrella, but is a good North sail and it even has a foam luff pad.
Overall, the sails are in better condition than I had hoped.  We also
stripped the bottom paint off using peel away.  Came off pretty good and the
bottom underneath looks in great shape.  In the spring we'll sand it down
good and apply a good barrier coat followed by the bottom paint.  All the
rigging looks in good shape so there is not really a whole lot to do to get
it ready to sail.

Are next big task for her is to get the cabin cleaned up and to figure out
where all the rain water is coming in from.  In about a month sitting on
Jack stands, she collected about 50 gallons of rain water (10 5 gal
buckets), so I am concerned about where it's coming in.  Apparently this has
been going on for awhile as the flooring is shot from being water logged.
We'll need to pull it up and replace it.  Not sure what we will use for the
new flooring, but suggestions are welcome.  The cabin also needs a good
cleaning up but that is mostly elbow grease.  The only electrical on it so
far is the nav lights.  I'll be thinking about what to do with that over the
next few months.

I'm still shooting for a mid spring splash and a lot of good sailing next
year.  Much of the work she needs can be done in the water, so we can still
sail on good days and work on windless days.

Regards,

Hank