[Rhodes22-list] Considering a Recycled R22

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Wed Nov 22 10:04:07 EST 2006

Nan,

The R22 was built for Long Island Sound.  In my view it is the best boat
for sailing these waters.  The recycled R22 is probably the best value
in boating--it is a new boat for all intents and purposes--the only
downside is that you have to live with some of the choices made by the
original owner which might be different from the choices you might make
for yourself.

If you are on a budget, spend all of your money on things that are
unique to the R22--IMF; Captain's Chairs; Pop-Top Enclosure; etc.

If you plan to add instruments that require putting a hole through the
boat, let Stan do it for you.  I have none of these, and never will.
They foul in Long Island Sound because of the extreme marine growth and
never work properly.  I'm with Mike on this.

If you plan to put wires in your mast have Stan do it for you in such a
way that the wires don't slap against the inside of the IMF--very
annoying.  Stan knows how to do this.

At our end of the sound cell phones work better on the water than they
do on land.  Hand held Marine Radios are also more than adequate.  (On
LIS your problem is too much reception, not too little--I can hear
requests for pick-ups from yacht clubs in Mamaroneck when I'm in
Greenwich.  There is so much chatter I leave mine off most of the time.
Mine is hand-held.)

I have no wires going up my mast--not even lights.  When the light bulbs
go at the top of the mast, they are a real pain to replace.  They always
seem fine when you test them with mast down.  They seem fine when you
first put the mast up.  When you actually use them at night you become
accustomed to hearing your kid say "Hey Mom--the light at the top of the
mast is out."

I use a very bright strap-on mast light at night.  Because the mast
light is low, motor boats think I'm also a motor boat, and give me more
room.  It is impossible to tell how fast an oncoming boat is moving at
night, but when you see a wide separation between bow and mast lights
you know it's a sail boat.

I am in the process of replacing my mast light electrical connection
with a marinized cigarette lighter socket.  These are now very reliable,
and the more expensive ones have locking sockets.  They will allow you
to use a variety of appliances on the deck, in addition to the mast light.

I would have Stan replace his standard ice box with a completely open
rectangular ice box which will accommodate more insulated bags.  I put
all food in insulated bags, and store it in various places on board in
addition to the ice box when many people are on board.

I don't like compasses located in the bulkhead.  People like to lean
against the bulkhead with their feet out on the cockpit seat.  You can't
see the compass when someone is leaning on it, and it is less
comfortable for the passengers with something pushing against their
backs.  Also, you can't really read it properly if you are sitting on
the opposite side of the cockpit.

I use hand held Plastismo lighted compasses mounted on the stern
rails--one on each side.  They can be mounted in any orientation.  I
find they are more accurate than bulkhead mounted compasses, and much
easier to read.  I have 2, one on the port side, one on the starboard.

The 175 genny is a fabulous sail--perfect for LIS.

If you can get Stan's new battened main sail--get it!  Again, a great
sail as a companion to a 175 genny.

Replace the pretty vinyl covered anchor with a Fortress FX-7 which fits
perfectly in Stan's bow anchor mounting clamps.

Old used trailers are a great place to store your boat in the
off-season.  Stan has them.  They are easy to use when launching and
retrieving boats.

You are, of course, welcome to come out on my boat next spring.  If you
would like to climb into it on its trailer, it's sitting at Greenwich
Point, I would be happy to show it to you any time you want to see it.
There are 2 or 3 more R22s also sitting in the yard.  My boat is 9 years
old--your recycled boat will look better than mine.  I could sell my
boat today for what I paid for it.

I have no need for a Bimini on LIS.  I sail with my pop-top up, almost
always.  People who want shade can go into the cabin.

Bill Effros