[Rhodes22-list] Moorings

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Wed Nov 22 15:04:13 EST 2006

Dan,

Your post brought back a "fond" memory of the first time that I tied up to
my mooring.  I too use a mooring, on the Nissequoque River.  Due to the 7-8
foot tide changes here on the north shore of LI, the current can be very
strong in and out to the LIS.  I sailed right up to the mooring and leaned
out of the cockpit and hooked the buoy nice and solidly.  Brought the buoy,
covered with all forms of marine life up the side of my nice, new R22, yuck!
The Admiral held the boat pole near the winch while I tried in vain to
fasten the mooring pennant to the buoy.  The tide was going out, quickly,
and we were broadside to the flow.  The Admiral almost went over the side
from the force on the pole.  I dropped the buoy, released the boat pole and
sailed away, vowing never to try to do that again during tide changes.  Now
I am smart enough to drop anchor and use a dinghy if mooring maintenance is
required.

As far as "race to the bow with the boat hook to snag my mooring line" goes,
you might want to add a pickup buoy to the mooring lines when you depart and
sail or motor to the mooring, into the wind or current, if any.  Cut your
power and just glide up to the mooring, WALK forward and gently reach down
to pick up the "flag".  You, and all watching you, will be impressed with
your relaxed attitude.  Sailing is all about the illusion of controlling
nature.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)

From: "daniel snyder" <danielsnyder at adelphia.net> Sent: Wednesday, November
22, 2006 1:07 PM
Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Life Lines

> Nan, our 06 Rhodes was delivered in May.  When my wife and I were in
Edenton