[Rhodes22-list] Moorings

daniel snyder danielsnyder at adelphia.net
Wed Nov 22 15:56:53 EST 2006

Michael, my mooring is in about 12 feet of water in a small cove in front of
my house...about 45 feet out from a rocky shoreline.  When I'm departing
I'll remove the mooring line from the bow cleat and snap on a ball type
fender which I then deposit in the bow of my dinghy....which is also
fastened to my mooring ball.  When coming back to the mooring I don't have
much margin for error in that I'm not far from the rocks.  My mooring line
stays permanently attached to the mooring ball and is very heavy duty and is
six feet long.  I'll come in slowly, throw the motor in neutral (if I'm
using it) and quickly get to the bow with the boat hook.  It is always a
"first time success" snagging the line because the round fender lying in the
bow of the dinghy always keeps the line up out of the water and never
tangled with anything.

Now to your point, I very much try to make this look very smooth to anyone
who might be watching....but if a strong wind is blowing in toward those
rocks, I privately sweat!

If you ever happen to be with Elton, ask him about the very unique
experience he had with my mooring ball this past May when the water was
about 40 degrees!