[Rhodes22-list] Autopilot (was Roger)

William E. Wickman wewickman at duke-energy.com
Wed Nov 22 15:10:25 EST 2006

Art,
I didn't know that West sold the extensions and brackets.  I ordered mine
directly from Raymarine.  Mounting the bracket under the tiller, you want
as small a clearance as possible to keep the autotiller as level as
possible, and to reduce the chance of banging your knee on it (although it
is really nicely out of the way).  I got a 6" and 3" push rod extension;
that would be a minimum you should get.  If you order the 6" and 4" you
will probably be OK.  It just affects what spot you drill the hole for the
little mounting cup.  The instruction manual very clearly shows you how to
measure everything.

As far as a close up of the gunwale installation, I don't have one but
there is really nothing to it.  Just get the right sized drill bit and
measure 10 times before drilling the hole.  I recommend that you drill a
pilot hole first, and put down some tape to keep the gelcoat from chipping.

Good luck!  You are gonna love it.

Bill W.

             "Arthur H.
             Czerwonky"
             <czerwonky at earthl                                          To
             ink.net>                  The Rhodes 22 mail list
             Sent by:                  <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org>
             rhodes22-list-bou                                          cc
             nces at rhodes22.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [Rhodes22-list] Autopilot (was
             11/22/2006 01:58          Roger)
             PM

             Please respond to
               The Rhodes 22
                 mail list
             <rhodes22-list at rh
                odes22.org>

Bill,
Oh, Great Autotiller guru - I am sending this before I order an ST1000,
just to verify the extensions and bracket.  Online, West shows 6", 4", and
2" extension rods.  Did you use the 6" (West#142851) and 4" (West#142844)
with the 2" bracket (West#142810).  West doesn't show a 1" bracket.  Do you
have a closeup of the gunwale  installation?

Are you still in the water?  The COE did a job on Lanier, so have to go to
the coast to get some sailing in.  I'm really pondering the wireless
remote.  After all, it's only money...
Thx,
Art