[Rhodes22-list] Considering a Recycled R22

KUHN, LELAND LKUHN at cnmc.org
Wed Nov 22 15:55:56 EST 2006

Nan,

Welcome!  I think you'll be happy with your decision to purchase a
Rhodes22.  My recycled '86 was delivered in March of this year.  She's
my first boat and I use her almost exclusively as a daysailor.  Most of
my outings are normally around four to six hours.  My biggest surprise
as a first year boat owner is the amount of time I've spent sailing.  I
thought I might get ten sails in this year.  I honestly think I've been
out over 90 times so far.  It's an addiction.  It's a sickness.  I
telecommute from the boat.  I go out in dangerous conditions.  I lie to
my friends and family about my whereabouts.  I'm thinking about leaving
the boat in the water over the winter just to get a few sails in when
the water isn't iced over.  I need help.  Just be careful.  If it could
happen to me, it could happen to anyone.

New sails:  I didn't need them but had no idea how many years were left
on the used ones that would have come with the boat.

Furling main and head sails:  Two of the reasons I chose a Rhodes22.
Wonderful for a variety of reasons.  Very easy to use but takes time to
learn to furl/reef perfectly in a variety of conditions.  In severe
conditions, anchor off the bow so you face into the hurricane so you can
get your sails in.  Learned this the hard way.

2nd coat of bottom paint in a different color:  Don't know if this is a
good idea yet, but relatively inexpensive and I'll know when I need to
paint without getting down to the fiberglass.

Bimini:  Seemed like a good idea when I bought it.  I've never needed it
and have rarely used it.  It lays nicely on the poptop and I brace it
perpendicular up under the boom when going forward, so it's not too much
of a hassle.  I guess I'd get it again--still seems like a good idea.

Motor:  I've got a used 9.9 Mercury sailboat outboard and it's been the
biggest disappointment on the boat.  It's bigger and heavier than I
need, but the real problem has been reliability.  I'm getting some work
done on it, but I may replace it with a new motor next year.

Electric motor lift:  Works well, but had I to do it over again, I
probably would just get the manual lift.

Solar panel:  Stan recommended this so it's probably a good idea.  I
have no idea how much juice I use; but I've never had problems with my
starter, lift, lights, GPS, radio, anenometer, depth finder, lighted
compass, knot meter, stereo, TV, DVD, Dustbuster, flashlights, etc.  I
got two panels just for looks.

Extra battery:  Extra peace of mind.

Cockpit cushions:  Expensive but really nice.  I use them but don't
really need them.

Hiking stick & tiller lock assembly:  It will probably come with your
recycled boat so you don't have to worry about it.  I use it all the
time.  It surprised me that it's one of my favorite and most used
features on the boat.

Portapotty:  Didn't want the potential maintenance problems with a
marine head.  I like the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid).  A
five-gallon bucket with a toilet seat and kitty litter in a trash bag
seems even better.

Circuit breaker:  Came with my recycled boat.  I use the 12 volt outlets
everytime I go out.

Wind ties attached to the shrouds:  Incredibly inexpensive.  Easier to
see than a wind vane at the top of the mast, and less hassle.  Easiest
method of determining exact wind direction.  One of the most useful
things on the boat.

Depth finder:  Some more experienced sailors on this list will say you
don't need a depth finder.  I think they are high on rum or absolutely
crazy.  Where I sail (bays around the Chesapeake Bay), there are shoals
everywhere.  Islands appear and disappear with the tides.  If you want
to sail anywhere near a shoreline, it's nice to know when you go from
thirty feet to two feet in a matter of seconds.  I don't have a problem
with banging my centerboard against the bottom if the bottom doesn't
damage it, but the drag from the centerboard slows you down.  I rarely
use the centerboard unless I need a little better pointing ability to
get to where I'm going.

Anenometer (wind guage):  Totally unnecessary.  Use it all the time.  If
the winds are high, I use it to see if it's too windy to go out (hasn't
happened yet).  I use it to determine how much sail I furl out.  I use
it to compare how fast I'm going in relationship to the wind on
different points of sail.

Knot meter:  I'm shocked at how difficult it is to determine boat speed
in different conditions (wind, current, waves/chop, points-of-sail).  If
you're at all concerned with speed and perfect sail trim, you can't live
without a knot meter.  You can't improve what you can't measure.  The
knot meter on my depth finder got gunked up with growth the first week.
I got tired of cleaning it and started using the knot meter on my
handheld GPS.  Now it doesn't work!  Don't ever buy a Meridian Marine
GPS.  Piece of junk and customer service is a nightmare.  And I like the
French :).  Guess I'll try the knot meter on a string you drag behind
your boat.

GPS:  I definitely don't need it but it was too cool not to get.  The
knot meter was handy while it worked.

Compass:  I got a big giant one that lights up and you can read from
inside and the outside of the cabin.  I mounted it on the bulkhead close
enough to the hatch that it doesn't bother anyone leaning against the
bulkhead.  Easy to read.  Don't use it for navigation, but frequently
use it to maintain my bearing for a consistent point-of-sail.

Most of the less useful things I purchased have to do with safety,
cruising or maintenace.  Some of the safety things are required and some
you'll want out of common sense and peace of mind.  Since I mostly
daysail, the cruising things haven't often come into play.  I'd rather
spend my time sailing than maintaining, so I don't clean or fix the boat
unless it's necessary.

I didn't get the captains chairs because I would have had to purchase an
expensive stern rail for my recycled boat.  Most boat owners swear by
them.  I only used them once Stan's demo boat and they were nice, but
not the greatest thing since canned beer.  You can make the cockpit
seats more comfortable with different cushions.  The need for greater
visibility is over-rated.  The tiller is far more fun to sail with than
the hiking stick.  If I'm not sailing hands-free using the tiller lock,
I'm usually standing and steering hands-free with the tiller between my
legs.

My recycled came with opening front ports.  Stan recommended replacing
them with fixed ports, so I wouldn't have to worry about leaks.  I
didn't want to spend the money and thought the ventilation would be
better.  He gave me canvas covers that work as cleverly as other Rhodes'
accessories.  If you're sleeping on a hot night with everything closed
up to keep the bugs out, maybe the opening ports are worth the extra
ventilation.  My ports don't leak, but I have to take the covers off
everytime so I won't lose them when the sails brush over while tacking.
If I had to do it again, I'd get the fixed ports.

Good luck!  You have a lot of choices.

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  At Ease
Crab Alley (Kent Island, MD)