[Rhodes22-list] Cell Phone Triangulation

Joseph Hadzima josef508 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 24 12:54:29 EST 2006

Hi Bill

Yes I do give a little safety talk, but it's limited to how
to stop the boat - {head into wind drop sails, use the
engine), and there is a waterproof emergency card with the
radio.  Since we rent I bring these with us on our trips.
and I do try to get everyone to try something during the
trip.

As for the cell phone - I'd like to pass along a news story
from the DC area, this past week.  A UMUC college student
attempted to dial 9-1-1 because four people were attempting
to break in.  It took 20 minutes for the wireless company
to connect them to the correct police department!  The TV
news did not state which company they had, but did say it
is a function of the cell company, and cell phones from out
of the area.  So I would suggest you program in the local
CG emergency number in YOUR cell phone and instruct anyone
left aboard if you are tossed over (or other-wised
incapacitated) to use YOUR phone, and not theirs (more
important if they are from out-of-town).

the local newspaper story is
http://www.gazette.net/stories/112206/princou112739_31993.shtml

I assume since you have your own boat, you may be taking
more non-sailing friends & family out, rather than people
with even limited experience.  I sort of see this as the
same problem for which a solo sailor needs to prepare.  I'd
suggest getting an EPIRG and attach it to your PFD - which
as the only able-boddy sailor / skipper you wear 100% of
the time :-)  then you can relax :-)

Personally, I like using the MapTech waterproof chartkit,
and use a grease pencil to mark position on the clear
plastic cover, so everyone knows the boat position.  this
may be just me being over cautious because when we rent it
is to expolore new areas (like LIS last Summer) and I'm
double carful since I don't know the waters.

I hope the cell phone works for you.

=== message truncated ===