[Rhodes22-list] Thanksgiving sailing

anima13 anima13 at bellsouth.net
Tue Nov 28 05:39:14 EST 2006

Rex,
What lake are you on? Eagle Creek?
I have to admit I sold my Rhodes....but I cannot give up this list, these
folks.
I went to a bigger boat. I have sailed all winter on my Rhodes. One year we
sailed
every weekend to Jan 1st and then we were out on Feb 1st.
Racing....I have never raced my Rhodes, except for the KY Lake gathering for
Rhodes
when we used to host a race here. Have to say, and I believe Rik Sandberg
would concur,
I could really point that boat. You might try unfurling just less than the
whole 175%,
like 160% or so.
However, you are not going to point like the Flying Scot, etc. Hence, PHRF!
Wally races his R-22.
I race on a team...race a J-34 now. We have raced together for years. Our
philosophy is to
point hard and make the shortest distance. We sheet that jib in tight as a
drum and our
helmsgal (John's wife Lisa) NEVER takes her eyes off the windex or the
telltales. She is
not allowed to do ANYthing else. We usually tell her "up" or "off" so she
does not have to look up
to windex. On our long distance races she gets to rest on the downwind...if
we have enough staff.
We have a 100 mile race in the spring and a 50 miler in the fall. Lots of
folks from Eagle Creek
come here for those. A few were here last weekend and they are some of our
favorite friends.
Come down and crew with us next year! We are ALWAYS hunting crew. We require
a minimum of 6
for spinnaker. We took 9 on the 100 miler last year and were not crowded!
Too many jobs to do.
Anne