[Rhodes22-list] Thanksgiving sailing

TN Rhodey tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 28 07:58:47 EST 2006

Rex,

Out pointing a well tuned Flying Scott will be tough to do in your R22. If
you are racing PHRF you don't have to. You just need to sail to your rating.
This is easier to do in an R22 than just about any other boat. When racing
PHRF don't get caught up in match racing......big mistake.

It is worth tuning your rig for racing even if you have IMF. You don't need
gauge just make sure everything is hand tight without slop. Forestay and/or
jib halyrad should be tensioned, no slop. Make sure your back stays are
snugged up. If you have IMF it is important to get outhaul adjusted for wind
conditions. The more wind the tighter.

Also important is proper use of jib telltales, jib tracks and main sheet
traveler. If you want to get seriious add a boom vang. In lighter winds sit
on the lee side. Have all crew weight forward in the cockpit. You get better
view for sail trim and the R22 likes a light stern. If you store stuff under
cockpit seats slide forward. All the little things add up.

Wally