[Rhodes22-list] Thanksgiving sailing

Charles Henthorn rexh at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 29 12:20:18 EST 2006

Rummy:
     I saw that posting earlier and have watched this past summer season for why and where the 'hang-ups' usually occur.  On my Rhodes it seems that the tops of the shroud protectors is not the problem as much as the small slot between the top of the chain plate and bottom of the turnbuckle which is exposed when the shroud protectors are caught by the sheet and raised up during a tack or jibe --- the standard sheet size is a perfect fit to become wedged in this slot.  I've thought about inventing some type of 'slot plug' that could be inserted to stop this wedging problem but my invention is still in the formative stages of a proper material, a way to fasten it, etc.  I realize a larger jib sheet would also solve the problem but then you have the added weight that isn't a good thing usually in a racing situation.
     Am I the only one that has encountered this problem?
  Rex

R22RumRunner at aol.com wrote:
  Rex,
There are several things you can do to improve how the sheets go back and
forth. The obvious is to put shroud protectors on the two forward and two outer
shrouds. There are several variations that involve the use of PVC pipe and
are quite cheap. For racing, Ed uses a method that I would prefer because it
rolls. He has an inner and an outer piece of PVC. They roll quite easily.
The knot where the sheets attach to the sail is another item that can
modified with many different materials to slide easily. I've never done it myself
because I'm not a racer, but several ideas come to mind.

Rummy