[Rhodes22-list] Pointing

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Thu Nov 30 11:45:48 EST 2006

Wally,

What I was trying to do was to pull the long 175 jib past the mast on
the windward side, with the fatter part of the sail on the leeward
side.  I know about "slot theory", but the 175 is cut so radically in
the exposed portion that I'm not sure the slot effect applies.  I was
just trying to get out the most sail in a pointing situation to go
faster at a given point of sail than I could otherwise with the sails I
have.  Still don't know if it will work.

What does work is Stan's new battened sail, which puts out more canvas
in a pointing situation and drives the boat much better than the smaller
standard sail.

Bill Effros