[Rhodes22-list] Barber Hauler

Tatflies at cs.com Tatflies at cs.com
Thu Nov 30 15:07:35 EST 2006

FYI,

Everytime I have used a barber hauler (on any boat) is to change the sheeting
angle for a headsail on reach (something aft of close). The jib sheet track
on the R22 (at least on my '88) does not come far enough forward to apply the
best angle. Thus, a snatch block can be affectively used on the active sheet,
with the line connecting to the leeward, inside track car (preferably with
another block with cleat). The snatch block will roll along the jib sheet as
tension is applied. Tension is adjusted on this barber hauler until perfect sail
shape is acheived.

That being said, it must be a fairly long reach to get the benefit to exceed
the cost of efficiency elsewhere on the boat (i.e. if single handing, who is
at the helm?, if other crew is aboard, will their weight moving around on the
leeward side affect balance, etc.).

Tom T.